(“Police Line / Police Tape” by Tony Webster, CC BY 2.0) A release from the department clarifies that the shootings are not believed to be related, despite all the victims reportedly being the same age.Below is the full press release from SBPD:The South Bend Police Department is investigating two separate and unrelated shootings.In the first incident, officers were responded to Memorial Hospital for a walk-in shooting victim around 8:30 Sunday night. The victim is a 23 year old male suffering from a non-life threatening wound to the upper body.Through the initial investigation, the victim reported being robbed in the area of the 1000 block of E. Ireland Road. During the robbery, shots were fired striking the victim in the upper body.Possible suspect is described as a white male last seen wearing a black hoodie.In the second incident, around 1:10am Monday morning, officers in the area of the 3700 block of Western heard gunfire which was followed by a dispatch to the 400 block of S. Wellington. Officers quickly arrived at a home on Wellington and located two 23 year old male victims with gunshot wound injuries to their upper body. They were taken to the hospital for treatment of apparent non-life threatening injuries.Through the initial investigation, it is believed the victims were injured after a person or persons fired shots towards the home on S. Wellington.Detectives with the South Bend Police Investigative Bureau continue to investigate both of these incidents.Anyone with information can call the South Bend Police Department at 574-235-9201 or Crime Stoppers at 574-288-STOP. Google+ Google+ Pinterest Twitter Twitter South Bend Police Investigating Two Shootings Overnight WhatsApp Facebook Pinterest By Carl Stutsman – December 9, 2019 0 268 Facebook Previous articleMichigan nears deal to legalize sports, online gamblingNext articleMichigan power customers with own solar panels on the rise Carl Stutsman IndianaLocalNewsSouth Bend Market WhatsApp
Olivia LewisUniversity of SussexIn 2010, the government made changes to legal aid for prison law, which included a requirement for providers to apply to the Legal Aid Agency for prior approval before starting work on cases concerning prisoners’ treatment. The ministry, in its latest legal aid statistics bulletin, said prison law workload began to decline following the changes.In December 2013, changes were made to the scope of legal aid available for prison law under the government’s Legal Aid Transformation programme. The ministry acknowledged that these changes ‘appear to have accelerated the existing downward trend in prison law workload over the following year, with freestanding advice and assistance accounting for most of the decline’.Latest figures show that the number of claims submitted in relation to freestanding advice and assistance fell from around 6,500 in the last three months of 2013, to less than 2,000 in the same period last year.Welsh said the letters clinic is an opportunity to help provide legal advice and assistance to people ’unable to afford the services of a solicitor in an area which needs intervention’.She said PAS receives 4,000 letters a year and, as a small charity, does not have the resources to respond to every letter without the assistance of outreach clinics.Law student Olivia Lewis (pictured) said: ’As someone who wishes to practise criminal law, it is an excellent opportunity to gain real-life experience, as well as become aware of areas of law that I wouldn’t have learnt in my degree.’ Law students are giving new meaning to the phrase ‘letter of the law’ with their efforts to address the decline in prison law advice caused by firms dropping out of the sector as a result of the government’s legal aid reforms.Volunteers from the University of Sussex have opened a ‘letters clinic’ to help prisoners with questions regarding their rights.The final-year law students will be working with national charity Prisoners’ Advice Service (PAS) to provide free support and advice on prison discipline, licence conditions, visiting rights, categorisation of prisoners, and applications for parole.They will help lecturer and criminal law expert Dr Lucy Welsh, who is leading the scheme, to research enquiries to the clinic and help draft appropriate responses in a short timeframe.The university announced that the scheme was set up to ’fill the gap left’ after many law firms dropped the provision of prison legal advice following legal aid cutbacks.
Egyptians hold candles at a vigil outside the Syndicate of Journalists in memory of the victims of a bomb and gun assault in North Sinai province that killed over 300, Cairo, Egypt, Nov. 27, 2017. (AFP)The head of an Egyptian school was suspended after photos emerged showing a group of students acting out last week’s deadly attack on a Sinai mosque, an official said.Friday’s massacre during prayers in the North Sinai town of Rawda killed 305 people when suspected Islamic State group gunmen surrounded the mosque and opened fire.IS has not claimed the attack, one of the deadliest in Egypt’s history.Photos posted on social media showed students from a middle school in the Nile Delta simulating the attack in their school yard.Some were dressed as hooded attackers in black uniforms, carrying dummy weapons, while others played victims, lying on the ground in white clothes covered with red spots.“We suspended the director and the theatre group pending the outcome of an investigation”, education ministry official Ridha Hijazi told AFP.He said the investigation could lead to sanctions if it revealed that the activity was intended to incite violence.