Sex Trafficking: Fortem Inspire And US Embassy Organise Workshop To Combat Menace Through Football

first_imgThe Global Slavery Index (GSI) estimates that of the 40.3m people held in modern day slavery globally, 1,386,000 of that number are Nigerians with the country ranking 32/167 of countries with the highest number of slaves.Nigeria is said to be a “source, transit and destination country” for human trafficking, a $150bn global industry with two-thirds of that sum ($91bn) involving commercial sex exploitation. The average age of people trafficked in Nigeria according to the National Agency for the Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons (NAPTIP) is 15 years.In a bid to combat this great menace which has shattered the dreams and cost the lives of many unsuspecting teenaged girls in Nigeria, Fortem Inspire, an advocacy group that works to empower women through sports, has teamed up with the United States Embassy in Nigeria to organise a workshop showing how sex trafficking can be combatted using football as a tool.The event tagged “Goal! Strong Girls, Bright Future. Combatting Sex Trafficking” will be held in two cities – Lagos and Benin – and is scheduled to commence on the 23rd of September and conclude on the 27th of September.Former US Women National Team Players Joanna Lohman and Staci Wilson in addition to former Super Falcons goalkeeper Precious Dede will act as resource persons and mentors for the participants who will number about 170 girls aged between 13 to 17 years old.The thrust of this year’s event which is to combat sex trafficking using football as a tool is as poignant as it is topical with the United Nations estimating that Nigeria has one of the largest number of trafficking victims within and outside the country.Nigerians are said to be held in modern slavery in 34 countries across the world and over ninety per cent of all trafficked women in Europe are estimated to hail from Edo State.The event will kickoff at the Campos Mini Stadium in Lagos on the 23rd of September with 50 girls participating. Benin City, which according to the Pathfinders Justice Initiative, is often the starting point for victims of human trafficking, will host the second leg of the event from the 25th to the 27th of September and will involve 120 girls.RelatedCombating Sex Trafficking Through Football: Ex-American International Joanna Lohman Opens Up On Nigerian NGO Fortem Inspire’s CampaignSeptember 18, 2019In “Events”Precious Dede: Former Falcons GK Recounts Harrowing Sexual Assault Ordeal – (AUDIO)September 25, 2019In “Events”Fortem Inspire: Second Leg Of Anti-Sex Trafficking Workshop Commences In Benin CitySeptember 25, 2019In “Events”last_img read more

Prosecution gains edge

first_img AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREThe Christmas Truce of 1914 proved that peace is possibleThe judge did not say when she would determine whether any of Blaylock’s medical or psychological records can be turned over to prosecutors. Blaylock, 37, was serving a 75-years-to-life sentence for attempted murder of a peace officer when Gonzalez was killed. According to court documents, he suffers from AIDS and an unspecified mental illness. His attorneys had originally sought to have the entire San Bernardino County District Attorney’s Office removed from the case, but Uhler did not back that request. Blaylock is scheduled to return to court Nov. 3, and his preliminary hearing has been set for Jan. 8. Gonzalez’s killing spurred a top-to-bottom review of the prison, and subsequent reports critical of CIM’s operations resulted in the firing of the then-warden and her two top deputies. [email protected] (909) 483-9354160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! RANCHO CUCAMONGA – A judge in the trial of accused murderer Jon Christopher Blaylock released to prosecutors documents she had previously withheld because they contained confidential information. But a different set of files at the center of the judge’s decision to recuse several members of the District Attorney’s Office from the case have not been released. Blaylock is accused of killing Correctional Officer Manuel Gonzalez, 44, of Whittier, who was stabbed to death at the California Institution for Men in Chino on Jan. 10, 2005. Last year, San Bernardino County Superior Court Judge Ingrid A. Uhler ordered the district attorney’s Rancho Cucamonga office off the case after determining attorneys had used illegal means to obtain Blaylock’s confidential medical and psychological records from the prison. The judge took possession of those records, as well as Blaylock’s Department of Corrections “central file,” which may have included information related to his medical condition. On Friday, she released the central file to prosecutors, after working with the defense team to remove portions of the documents that should remain private. “A considerable amount of time was spent going over the inmate central file,” Uhler said. “In regard to \ psychological and other records, those remain in chambers.” last_img read more