Rugby League Canterbury coach Dean Pay (pictured) is the latest to hit out at the NRL’s decision to revert back to one referee, saying all teams should restart the season on zero points. Pay’s criticism comes after the league this week opted to revert back to one referee and introduce a sixagain call for ruck infringements. The rule change will be introduced when the season resumes. “We’re back to a 20-round competition, we’ve gone from two refs to one ref now. And then we’ve had a major rule change,” Pay (pictured) said. “For us, for me, it certainly looks like a different competition from the one we started with at the start of the year. “I can’t see why we can’t have every team back starting from zero points.” Referees will restart the tackle count for a ruck infringement, and will have the discretion to award a penalty for multiple indiscretions. It is likely to lead to the eradication of the penalty goal, as well as teams earning the opportunity to kick downfield following a penalty. – nrl.com
Having been announced as Watford’s first signing of the summer, Pape Gueye was meant to be a part of Nigel Pearson’s squad next year. However, immediately after the unveiling, the player made it clear he didn’t want to move to Vicarage Road and instead decided to use his lawyer to find him a move elsewhere, landing in Marseille.The Ligue 1 club feel confident they won’t have face any problems, seeing enough inconsistencies in Gueye’s contract with the Hornets win any battle, but Watford aren’t going to go down without a fight.They made that clear to the French media straight after Gueye was revealed as a Marseille player, and Éric Roy, their director of football, told L’Equipe on Wednesday: “We aren’t going to say anything, but the club will assert its rights”.So far, there has been ‘no talks’ between the two sides, and the French club have explained why they made their move when they did.Embed from Getty ImagesThe club told the newspaper: “We activated proceedings after reading [Gueye’s] lawyer’s declarations that he’d cancelled his contract with Watford. Our team studied the legal situation and we decided to sign Gueye knowingly, in order to be ready to any eventuality”.But those at Watford aren’t so sure, as a source close to the club said: “It’s a dossier that stinks for Marseille. They don’t know Mr Pozzo if they think a compensation could sort everything out. Principles are more important to him”.It’s stated Watford had set a €5m clause for Gueye, and L’Equipe feel that, at that price, they might have been willing to talk.But Rennes, who were also keen, backed out fairly quickly after realising the player’s entourage didn’t want to go down the ‘negotiating with Watford’ road, leaving Marseille with the only ones willing to take the risk of offering him a contract as a ‘free agent’, thus starting this whole mess.As for Le Havre in all this, the club that should have received some compensation, their president explained they feel ‘wronged’ and are ‘keeping all their options open’, before stating they will ‘take action’.by Taboolaby TaboolaSponsored LinksSponsored LinksPromoted LinksPromoted LinksTrending TodayForge of Empires – Free Online GameIf You Like to Play, this Game is a Must-HaveForge of Empires – Free Online GameUndo聽多多 Hearmore.asia1969年前出生的香港居民現可免費試戴頂尖的歐洲助聽器聽多多 Hearmore.asiaUndoHero WarsGetting this Treasure is impossible! Prove us wrong!Hero WarsUndo熱門話題小心會長過頭…網友推爆:「真的長得超誇張!」熱門話題UndoStanChart by CNBC CatalystDigitization in Banks Is No Longer About Efficiency, but Business Resilience. Don’t Get Left Behind.StanChart by CNBC CatalystUndoCNN with DBS BankWhat Banks Did To Help Corporations Mitigate Future CrisesCNN with DBS BankUndoLoans | Search AdsNeed a loan? Search hereLoans | Search AdsUndoKeto减肥1個簡單的妙招一夜「融化」腹部贅肉（今晚試試）Keto减肥UndoTemenos by CNBC CatalystIs a Digital Revolution Crucial for Banks to Stay Ahead in a Post-Pandemic World?Temenos by CNBC CatalystUndo
Tags: 15 March 2014, 15:47 Interpreter victorious in HSI/Red Mills Spring Tour 6th Round Left to right: Chantal Suarez, owner of Portmore Equestrian Centre, Niamh Harding, Jenny Crozier of Red Mills pictured with James Hogg on Interpreter, winner of HSI Connolly’s Red Mills Spring Tour Round Six at Portmore Equestrian Centre (Photo Credit Grace Lavery Equestrian News NI)THE sixth round of the Horse Sport Ireland/ Connolly’s RED MILLS Spring Tour at Portmore Equestrian Centre in Co Armagh saw the top prize staying north of the border, as Co Fermanagh rider James Hogg scored a comprehensive victory with Edgar Hogg’s grey gelding Interpreter.The host venue Portmore Equestrian Centre sponsored the competition with €2,500 on offer and those in attendance were treated to a fantastic competition, but no one went home happier than the winner James Hogg,“I have to say the course builder (Rafael Suarez) did an excellent job, he gave us three different options to turn inside around the course and I think I might have been the only one to take all three tight turns. The surface at Portmore is just fantastic and the organizers deserve allot of credit for putting on a great show,” he said.When asked about his mount Interpreter (Crusing x Diamond Rock x Hail Titan(TB),James Hogg went on to say: “He is much stronger in himself this year, he is nine years old now and like all good Irish horses he gets better with age. “Interpreter was bred by David O’Brennan from Tullamore in Co Offaly and he has been a winner for me since he was a five years old. His full brother actually won the 1.20m at Portmore on Saturday also. I will take in the Spring Tour round at Cavan next and will see where we go from there”.Fifteen of the 37 starters made it through to the jump-off and despite a relatively early draw in round two, Hogg had well over three seconds to spare over his nearest challenger at the finish. He did have a nervous moment at the third last oxer, as Interpreter rubbed the back bar, but the pole stayed intact, giving the Ulsterman a well deserved victory in a time of 35.09 seconds.League leader Conor McEneaney was last to jump with the incredibly consistent eight year old Moonlite Cavalier and although he couldn’t match Hogg’s winning round, a second round clear in 38.66 seconds saw him take runner up at Portmore to extend his lead at the top of the table.Sven Hadley filled three of the top six places, taking third place with the eight year old bay gelding Quanbell (Quentin x H.2) after a clear round in 40.43, while he also posted a clear jump off round (45.44) with Cassana (OBOS Quality x Hallo) to take fourth.Hadley picked up four faults against the clock with Cassinitine (Cheers Cassini x Animo Elite) but a time of 40.08 was good enough to finish sixth, just behind junior rider Christopher Megahey who produced an excellent performance to take fifth place with the Lauriston sired Rickamore Royal.Today (Sunday) the HSI/ Connolly’s RED MILLS Spring Tour moves west to Claremorris in Co Mayo before Ballinamona in Waterford hosts the eighth round of the series on Bank Holiday Monday.HSI/ Connolly’s RED MILLS Spring Tour – Top Six Following PortmoreConor Mc Eneaney 37 PointsDaniel Coyle 27Thomas O’Brien 24James Hogg 20Liam O’Meara 15Sven Hadley 14Result – HSI/ Connolly’s RED MILLS Spring Tour – Portmore Equestrian Centre Co Armagh – Sponsored by Portmore Equestrian Centre – 15/03/20141st James Hogg/Interpreter 0/0 35.09,2nd Conor McEneaney/Moonlite Cavalier 0/0 38.663rd Sven Hadley/Quanbell 0/0 40.434th Sven Hadley/Cassana 0/0 45.445th Christopher Megahey/Rickamore Royal 0/4 39.766th Sven Hadley/Cassinitine 0/4 40.087th Robert Newell/Zinniz Roundthorn 0/4 44.018th Barry McCormack/Armani Velvet 0/4 47.469th Daniel Coyle/Lady Porschell 0/4 49.9110th Emily Turkington/Legend 0/4 51.0837starters15 into jump -offWinning Owner – Edgar HoggBest Turned Out – Legend (Emily Turkington)Leading Young Rider – Conor McEneaneyLeading 7&8 year old horse Moonlite Cavalier (Conor McEneaney) Home » Disciplines News » Interpreter victorious in HSI/Red Mills Spring Tour 6th Round
Ghana midfielder Andre Dede Ayew is among the five candidates for the 2011 BBC African Footballer.The Ivorian pair of Yaya Toure and Gervinho as well as Cameroonian Samuel Eto’o and Mali’s Seydou Keita also made the shortlist.The winner will be decided by African football fans, who have until 9 December to vote for their choice.Voting for the award will take place via text and online.The winner will be announced a week later on 16 December on the BBC’s Sport Today programme.Both Manchester City striker Yaya Toure and Arsenal midfielder Gervinho starred for Ivory Coast as they qualified for the 2012 Africa Cup of Nations by winning all their matches. Toure scored the winner for Manchester City as they won the FA Cup while Gervinho was instrumental in Lille’s double in France before he moved to Arsenal.Ayew, who is one of Ghana’s key players, helped Marseille to win the French League Cup and Super Cup while Mali’s Seydou Keita was part of Barcelona’s historic Champions League winning team.Eto’o netted 21 goals for Italian side Inter Milan before leaving for Russian Anzhi Makhachkala in August and has scored seven goals in eight matches so far this season.The shortlist was determined by a panel of experts across Africawho took into consideration individual skill, technical ability, teamwork, consistency, impact on results and fair play.“This shortlist reinforces the importance of African footballers to Europe’s top clubs. It will be intriguing to see who triumphs in the end,” the BBC’s African Football blogger Piers Edwards said. Last year’s winner Asamoah Gyan narrowly missed out on the shortlist.
iStock/Thinkstock(WASHINGTON) — A Russian fighter jet came within five feet of a U.S. Air Force reconnaissance aircraft over the Baltic Sea on Monday, in an encounter the American pilot determined was unsafe.The incident occurred Monday morning as an RC-135 reconnaissance aircraft flew in international airspace above the Baltic Sea.It was intercepted by a Russian Su-27 Flanker fighter jet, which approached at a high speed.The Russian fighter “came within several feet” of the RC-135, according to Capt. Joseph Alonso, a spokesman for U.S. European Command. A separate defense official said the fighter came within five feet of the RC-135 as it flew alongside it for several minutes.The pilot of the American aircraft determined that the Russian aircraft’s actions were “unsafe” because of its “high rate of closure speed and poor control of the aircraft” said Alonso.He added that the RC-135 was flying in international airspace with its transponder on, making it identifiable to other aircraft.“We were flying in international airspace and did nothing to provoke this behavior,” said Capt. Jeff Davis, a Pentagon spokesman, told reporters Tuesday.“Such unsafe actions have the potential to cause serious harm and injury to all involved,” he added. “Russia is certainly within its right to exercise within international airspace but we want them to respect international standards for safety to prevent accidents.”The Russian Defense Ministry countered with a different narrative of the intercept.According to the Russian news agency Interfax the Russian Defense Ministry accused the RC-135 of performing provocative maneuvers toward the Russian fighter.“During the escorting, the RC-135 crew made an attempt of closing with the Russian fighter, performing a provocative turnaround toward the Su-27,” the agency quoted the Russian Defense Ministry as saying.“The Russian pilot reacted to the maneuver of the RC-135 and then continued escorting the U.S. reconnaissance airplane until the latter changed the direction of its flight away from the Russian border,” the ministry said.The ministry added that after the 10-minute encounter, another RC-135 entered the same area and was also intercepted by a Russian Su-27 fighter.After the incident, the RC-135 pilot determined the Russian’s pilots actions were unsafe. Various factors go into determining whether an incident should be ruled unsafe including distance, speed, altitude, rate of closure and visibility.Davis noted that the “vast majority” of intercepts of American aircraft by the Russian military are safe encounters. He labeled Monday’s incident “the exception, not the norm.” Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.Powered by WPeMatico Related
Now the coach of Austria’s Red Bull Salzburg is preparing his team to return to action after a two-month shutdown.Salzburg have already been back training in small groups but are set to resume collective training on Friday before the Austrian Bundesliga picks up again in early June.“We had to all get tests today again to make sure that nobody had the virus. This is the second time that we have had tests,” Marsch told AFP on Wednesday in a phone interview.“We will still have to keep distances in the locker room, and we will wear masks in the building. Even on the bench we will have to keep distances of one metre between players and coaching staff.”Unlike in Germany, where the league resumes this weekend, teams in Austria have not been forced into quarantine training camps.Indeed, if Germany has coped well enough with the pandemic to be able to bring back football, Austria has arguably done even better.With its population of almost nine million, it has registered only 624 deaths from under 16,000 cases and began easing its lockdown in mid-April.“If you were here and you saw how people have followed the rules, how they wear masks, how they respect each other’s space, it would give you a lot of confidence that the virus is well contained,” says Marsch, who was assistant coach at RB Leipzig in Germany before moving to Salzburg last year.Erling Haaland was a sensation for Salzburg in the Champions League earlier this season before moving to Borussia Dortmund. APA/AFP/File/STRINGERThe 46-year-old Wisconsin native spent lockdown in Salzburg with his wife and two sons. Their 18-year-old daughter stayed in Leipzig to finish high school but returned to the family before the border between the countries closed.Salzburg have not played since March 8. While in lockdown, Marsch focused on “family, friends and football” and — like everyone it seems — “did a lot of Zoom calls”.Now the season is returning, and Salzburg’s first game is set to be the Cup final against second-division Austria Lustenau in late May.Then it will be back to the league, as the Red Bull club try to catch leaders LASK Linz and claim a seventh straight title. They are currently three points behind.“Right now there is a lot of optimism and excitement,” admits Marsch.– Haaland: ‘A freak’ –Salzburg have found the going tougher since losing Haaland and Japan’s Takumi Minamino to Borussia Dortmund and Liverpool respectively.Both were outstanding in Salzburg’s Champions League campaign as they impressed against Liverpool and Napoli.Haaland, the 19-year-old Norwegian, scored 28 goals in 22 games before joining Dortmund and netting nine in his first eight German Bundesliga appearances.Marsch on the training ground last month – Salzburg players have been working in small groups for several weeks now and will start collective training this Friday. APA/AFP/File/BARBARA GINDL“He is a freak, he physically is gifted in ways that very few people are. There is very little that he can’t do in terms of the requirements of the game at the highest level,” Marsch says.“You could see in every training session and every test game, he had moments that were like ‘wow’, and those ‘wow’ moments got to be more and more until sometimes it would be a 90-minute performance.”If losing Haaland and Minamino in the winter was a blow, Marsch points out that youth development is central to the strategy of a club who have also polished players like Sadio Mane and Naby Keita.– In defence of US women –Salzburg gave him an opportunity too, to make a name for himself as an American coach in Europe.“This is an experiment for me to see if my way of thinking, my way of leadership, of relationships, can function in the most competitive world of our sport here in Europe, although I understand Austria is not the highest level in Europe.”He still keeps a close eye on goings-on at home, though, and has been supportive of the US women’s national team who recently had their case to be paid the same as their male counterparts thrown out by a federal judge.“I just felt like those women earned more than the respect of everybody to be treated like heroes and with full respect,” he says.“After the lawsuit getting thrown out, yeah I have emotions for that too, because I would like to see them treated fairly.”