Freshfields tops 2015 M&A rankings

first_imgMagic circle firm Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer continues to be ranked one of the top global law firms to advise on mergers and acquisitions as last year’s post-financial crisis M&A high continued into 2015.The London-headquartered firm came fourth in Mergermarket’s league table of legal advisers ranked by deal value in the first quarter of 2015, jumping two places from Q1 2014.In the quarter it worked on 37 deals with a total value of £77m.Magic circle firms Linklaters (£57m) and Clifford Chance (£32m) also made the top 20. The top spot was taken by US firm Sullivan & Cromwell, which worked on 31 deals with a total value of $146.7m (£100m).Freshfields led the European table for deal value (£42m). Linklaters (£28m), Clifford Chance (£20m) and Slaughter and May (£19.5m) also made the top five.Deal values in Europe were slightly higher than Q1 2014, with M&A valued at £126bn.The most valuable sector was telecommunications, with deals adding up to £29bn.The UK’s M&A value was more than triple Q1 2014, with £51bn-worth of deals, reaching the highest quarterly value since Q4 2009. Over half of the activity came from bidders outside Europe with deals valued at £30bn.last_img read more

Sebastien Bourdais, Paul Tracy finally, officially, reconcile

first_imgSebastien Bourdais celebrated in the winner’s circle after the IndyCar Series race July 12 at the Milwaukee Mile in West Allis, Wis.Sebastien Bourdais celebrated in the winner’s circle after the IndyCar Series race July 12 at the Milwaukee Mile in West Allis, Wis.NEWTON, Iowa – From victory lane to the Wisconsin Dells to an Iowa cornfield, all in the span of a week.Such has been Sebastien Bourdais’ adventure since winning his first oval-track race in more than nine years, a dominating drive last Sunday at the Milwaukee Mile.Bourdais then did what few other championship-winning professional athletes do: He crawled behind the wheel of his used Coachman Encounter – “the cheapest motorhome you’ll find in (IndyCar’s) paddock,” he said – and took a 400-mile drive serving as a mini-vacation between weekend jobs.With wife Claire and children Emma, 8, and Alex, 5, in tow, Bourdais arrived first at the Cave of the Mounds (west of Madison, Wis.), spending Tuesday crawling through darkened caverns like a young explorer. The next day was splashing at a Wisconsin Dells water park.Kid stuff, Bourdais said with a beaming smile.“If the kids have a good time, we tend to have a better time,” he said Friday at Iowa Speedway, site of Saturday night’s Iowa Corn Indy 300.Bourdais aims for another Iowa Corn 300 stunnerIf all that wasn’t fun enough, Bourdais spent 45 minutes Friday night in a field of you’ve got to be dreaming as he and his old nemesis, Paul Tracy, taped a segment for NBCSN’s pre-race show.Bourdais and Tracy were once the furthest things from friends, battling through three contentious years in Champ Car. From Australia to Monterrey, Mexico, to Toronto, it seemed anytime two cars were involved in an incident these two drivers were at the wheel.Bourdais was on his boat at home in St. Petersburg, Fla., last month when an unrecognizable number showed as a missed call. A message followed. Bourdais knew the voice – it was Tracy’s – but he couldn’t read the tone.Turns out, Tracy was burying the hatchet.“I called him back and we spoke,” Bourdais said. “He apparently had a lot of time to reflect, and he had things he wanted to get off his chest.”“Him and I had a lot of conflict over the years and I did things intentionally I’m not proud of, and I wanted to tell him that,” Tracy said. “He said he didn’t give me an inch either.”Tracy last drove an Indy car in ’11 and now spends a handful of weekends analyzing IndyCar races on NBCSN. As Bourdais masterfully carved up the field in Milwaukee, Tracy could not have been more complimentary on the broadcast.NBCSN extended the love by putting the two former rivals in a cornfield to stage a made-for-TV reconciliation. The segment was just the two of them in a car in a remote area west of the track. They were gone longer than expected, which led to a team member texting Bourdais “when are you coming home?”When the two men finally returned, they were laughing like kids.That isn’t the only connection in the works. Bourdais said he intends to re-sign with KVSH as soon as the Indianapolis-based team works through details involving the ownership group.Bourdais spending a third season with KVSH is good not only for the No. 11 Chevrolet, it’s good for IndyCar. Continuity in this sport is often a difference-maker, and this will be Bourdais’ first three-year run with the same race team since he won four consecutive Champ Car titles 2004-07. He’s already won two races this season and three over the past 362 days.“In terms of results we probably could have even done better (in other races) if I had qualified a bit stronger,” Bourdais said. “As close as the IndyCar field is, if you leave points on the side you’re done.”Bourdais is anything but done at age 36. He has miles yet to travel, both in a race car and a motorhome.Follow Star reporter Curt Cavin on Facebook and on Twitter: @curtcavin.last_img read more

Russian jet came within five feet of US plane

first_imgiStock/Thinkstock(WASHINGTON) — A Russian fighter jet came within five feet of a U.S. Air Force reconnaissance aircraft over the Baltic Sea on Monday, in an encounter the American pilot determined was unsafe.The incident occurred Monday morning as an RC-135 reconnaissance aircraft flew in international airspace above the Baltic Sea.It was intercepted by a Russian Su-27 Flanker fighter jet, which approached at a high speed.The Russian fighter “came within several feet” of the RC-135, according to Capt. Joseph Alonso, a spokesman for U.S. European Command. A separate defense official said the fighter came within five feet of the RC-135 as it flew alongside it for several minutes.The pilot of the American aircraft determined that the Russian aircraft’s actions were “unsafe” because of its “high rate of closure speed and poor control of the aircraft” said Alonso.He added that the RC-135 was flying in international airspace with its transponder on, making it identifiable to other aircraft.“We were flying in international airspace and did nothing to provoke this behavior,” said Capt. Jeff Davis, a Pentagon spokesman, told reporters Tuesday.“Such unsafe actions have the potential to cause serious harm and injury to all involved,” he added. “Russia is certainly within its right to exercise within international airspace but we want them to respect international standards for safety to prevent accidents.”The Russian Defense Ministry countered with a different narrative of the intercept.According to the Russian news agency Interfax the Russian Defense Ministry accused the RC-135 of performing provocative maneuvers toward the Russian fighter.“During the escorting, the RC-135 crew made an attempt of closing with the Russian fighter, performing a provocative turnaround toward the Su-27,” the agency quoted the Russian Defense Ministry as saying.“The Russian pilot reacted to the maneuver of the RC-135 and then continued escorting the U.S. reconnaissance airplane until the latter changed the direction of its flight away from the Russian border,” the ministry said.The ministry added that after the 10-minute encounter, another RC-135 entered the same area and was also intercepted by a Russian Su-27 fighter.After the incident, the RC-135 pilot determined the Russian’s pilots actions were unsafe. Various factors go into determining whether an incident should be ruled unsafe including distance, speed, altitude, rate of closure and visibility.Davis noted that the “vast majority” of intercepts of American aircraft by the Russian military are safe encounters. He labeled Monday’s incident “the exception, not the norm.” Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.Powered by WPeMatico Relatedlast_img read more

Barça legend Ronaldinho officially retires from football

first_imgBarcelona legend Ronaldinho has officially retired from football, his brother confirmed on Tuesday. Upd. on 17/01/2018 at 00:04 CET RELATED STORIES Philippe Coutinho: Ronaldinho has always been my idol IN SPORT.ES Ronaldinho colgará las botas tras el Mundial de Rusia 16/01/2018 “He has stopped, it is ended,” Assis said. “Let’s do something pretty big and nice [for his farewell] after the Russia World Cup, probably in August. SPORT.es Ronaldinho, 37, has had a long and successful career which has seen him represent Grémio, PSG, Barça, Milan, Flamengo, Atlético Mineiro, Querétaro and Fluminense.  Roberto de Assis, in comments to UOL Esporte, said that his brother will play a couple of benefit games after the World Cup to officially end his career.  “We will do various events in Brazil, Europe and Asia and, of course, we are arranging something with the Brazilian team as well.” In addition he was capped more than 100 times by Brazil, winning the World Cup in 2002. last_img read more

Maddock takes maternity leave

first_imgBy DAVID NAGEL SENL ROUND 1 – PREVIEW BERWICK’s mid-court maestro Sarah McDermott will feel a little lost this Saturday…[To read the rest of this story Subscribe or Login to the Gazette Access Pass] Thanks for reading the Pakenham Berwick Gazette. Subscribe or Login to read the rest of this content with the Gazette Digital Access Pass subscription.last_img