LANGHORNE, Pa. — Eastern Catalytic has appointed Charles Pantano to head up its emissions certification efforts. AdvertisementClick Here to Read MoreAdvertisement The announcement was made by George Schafer, president of Eastern Manufacturing, who noted, “As a leading manufacturer of world class catalytic converters, it is extremely important for us to be able to quickly and effectively meet the ongoing requirements of global emissions. Charles Pantano comes to us with a great deal of engineering and design experience and expertise, as well as a strong, hands-on knowledge of the automotive business. We will be looking to him to provide us with the leadership to address our certification needs and further expand Eastern’s catalog of certified catalytic converters.” In this new role, Pantano will be responsible for assuring that Eastern Catalytic products are designed to meet the testing requirements and performance compliance criteria established for catalytic converters by various regulatory agencies, including CARB and EPA. His duties will include: defining production exhaust configurations; technical liaison to component suppliers; qualifying technologies and ensuring performance, durability, and quality compliance; supporting catalyst development and certification programs, production selection of catalyst, product verifications and validation and assistance of commercial launch for new converters. Before joining Eastern Catalytic, Pantano enjoyed a successful career as an electro-mechanical engineer. Most recently, he worked as a product design engineer for Advent Design (Bristol, Pa.) from 2006-2009 where he designed and manufactured high speed automated assembly equipment for various industries. From 2004-2006, Pantano was a senior mechanical engineer at Ocean Power Technology (Ewing, N.J.) and was responsible for the designing and fabricating of large-scale ocean buoys that generate renewable energy through wave power. Prior to that, he spent five years as an electrical/mechanical engineer with Alpha Automation (Trenton, N.J.). Advertisement In addition to his career activities, Pantano is also an automotive performance buff and active NHRA drag racer. Since 1982, Pantano has designed and built various engines for local racers. He has an NHRA competition license and competes locally in NHRA events. He also holds an Amateur Radio Operator Advance Ticket.
QPR boss Harry Redknapp says Bobby Zamora is still struggling with the hip condition that has affected the striker in recent seasons.Zamora, 33 and previously out of favour, was offered a new contract after making himself a hero by winning promotion for Rangers with a last-minute goal in May’s play-off final against Derby.He was initially told he was unlikely to play first-team football were he to stay, but he has had a key role in recent matches.AdChoices广告 See also:The Redknapp recap: Harry on Taarabt, Wright-Phillips and moreQPR trio remain sidelined for Chelsea gameTaarabt back in the fold after ‘great chat’Ex-Spurs man Ramsey’s QPR role confirmedRangers ‘starting to gel’ – RedknappChelsea v QPR: five key battlesZamora in line for Rangers recall QPR v Aston Villa player ratings“He’s still got his hip thing, but he manages it and when he’s played he’s been great,” said Redknapp.“He’s probably not going to train today. It’s 60, 65 minutes and again he has to come off, but when he’s been on the pitch he’s been outstanding for us. He’s very important for us.“I’ve reversed it after having a chat with him. I was bringing him off the bench and rather than doing that we’ve started with him lately.“It’s about how he feels after a Monday. It takes him a few days to recover. But he’s as good at anybody at doing what he does, holding that ball up and bringing people into play.”Zamora, signed from Fulham in January 2012, was given the captain’s armband for the recent matches against Liverpool and Aston Villa.“He’s been great for the dressing room in the last couple of weeks when he’s been captain. I couldn’t be more pleased with Bobby,” Redknapp added. Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebook
Crystal Palace defender Mamadou Sakho has revealed his desire to compete in the Champions League in the future, which could signal an upcoming departure from Selhurst Park. The 28-year-old has been in fine form for Palace this season, and last month earned his first call-up for France since March 2016. Sakho started Tuesday night’s friendly win over Uruguay, making his first appearance for Les Bleus since 2015. Article continues below Editors’ Picks Man Utd ready to spend big on Sancho and Haaland in January Who is Marcus Thuram? Lilian’s son who is top of the Bundesliga with Borussia Monchengladbach Brazil, beware! Messi and Argentina out for revenge after Copa controversy Best player in MLS? Zlatan wasn’t even the best player in LA! The former Liverpool man’s return to prominence has sparked rumours he could be looking to leave Palace in favour of a bigger club. Sakho bolstered those rumours in an interview with RMC , saying : “I’ve always been ambitious, and I’ve worked to reach the highest levels of football since I was a trainee. Today my ambition remains the same.”I want to play in the biggest competitions possible. If I said otherwise that would tell you that I lack ambition, and that I am happy with what I’ve got.”Why shouldn’t the Champions League be on my mind? Ask any Crystal Palace player and they will tell you the same thing.”A footballer’s aim is to play in the biggest tournaments for the best clubs. If that isn’t the case you might as well play video games instead.”With Palace currently 16th in the Premier League, a desire to play Champions League football would require Sakho to move away from Selhurst Park. The defender revealed he nearly departed the club in the summer but decided to stay, though he could revisit that decision again in the upcoming off-season. “During the summer there were various roads I could have taken – to clubs in Spain, Italy and France – but I opted to stay in England.”I don’t regret it. When I take a decision I put my head down and go flat out until the end, and I am proud to have made my choice.”But I will take stock of my situation at the end of the season.”Sakho was pulled off at half-time of France’s 1-0 win over Uruguay with a back problem, leaving him in doubt for Crystal Palace’s match at Manchester United on Saturday.
OTTAWA – Statistics Canada says police-reported hate crimes showed a five per cent increase in 2015, led by a rise in the number of incidents directed at Muslims. Some facts about the findings:— Hate crimes are defined in the Criminal Code as criminal incidents motivated by hatred toward an identifiable group over factors including race, colour, national or ethnic origin, religion, sexual orientation, language, sex, age, mental or physical disability.— The code also contains four specific offences listed as hate crimes: advocating genocide, public incitement of hatred, wilful promotion of hatred, and mischief motivated by hate in relation to religious property.— In 2015, police reported a total of 1,362 criminal incidents motivated by hate, up 67 from the previous year.— They said 35 per cent of these hate crimes, 469 incidents in all, were motivated by religious hatred.— Incidents directed at Muslims rose to 159 in 2015 from 99 in 2014. This was 12 per cent of all hate crimes.— Incidents directed at the Jewish population declined to 178 from 213. This was 13 per cent of all hate crimes.— Hate crimes motivated by race or ethnicity increased five per cent.— Much of this increase was a result of more hate crimes targeting Arab and West Asian populations, which rose 33 per cent, although hate crimes directed against black populations remained the most common type of hate crime related to race or ethnicity, involving 17 per cent of the total.— Hate crimes targeting sexual orientation declined nine per cent in 2015, to 141 incidents from 155 incidents the previous year.— Increases were reported in eight of 10 provinces, with the biggest jump coming in Alberta, where the number of police reported incidents rose 39 per cent, to 193 incidents from 139 the previous year.— In Ontario, which historically records close to half the total number of hate crimes in Canada, the number of police-reported incidents dropped by five per cent in 2015. The decrease was attributed to fewer incidents movtivated by hatred against the Jewish religion and the black population.
OTTAWA – The Liberals are blaming the previous Harper government for the failing grade they received in an independent audit of compliance with the Access to Information Act, saying the Conservatives left behind a badly damaged system.The national freedom of information audit found the federal access system is bogged down to the point where, in many cases, it simply doesn’t work.The annual audit focused on the federal access regime this year — given Justin Trudeau’s election campaign promises of increased transparency — and concluded it is faring worse than in the latter years of the Conservative government.“The Liberal government has a long way to go if it is to deliver on its promises of transparent government,” the audit report says.The audit was funded by national industry group News Media Canada, which represents more than 800 print and digital titles across the country. It was researched and prepared independently by a team headed by lead author Fred Vallance-Jones, who teaches journalism at University of King’s College in Halifax.A total of 428 requests sent to different levels of government were included in the analysis.In their 2015 platform on open and transparent government, Trudeau’s Liberals stated that transparent government is good government, the report notes. “It’s a sentiment shared by just about every opposition party that seeks power, but often falls out of favour once power is achieved.”The federal access act allows people who pay $5 to request records ranging from correspondence and studies to expense reports and meeting minutes. Agencies must answer requests within 30 days or provide a reason why more time is needed.The researchers found the federal system continues to be far slower and less responsive than provincial and municipal freedom of information regimes.“I think ultimately Canadians deserve better than what they’re getting from their federal government when it comes to access to information,” Vallance-Jones said in an interview.Jean-Luc Ferland, a spokesman for Treasury Board President Scott Brison, said Wednesday the report “confirms that the Harper government left behind a badly outdated and damaged system.”In the House of Commons, Trudeau said his government continued to “raise the bar on openness and transparency” with a bill introduced in June that would make the first significant changes to the access law since it took effect in 1983.However, the researchers also express concern about that bill, accusing the Liberals of backing off on some of their reform promises.While the bill would give the federal information commissioner long-sought power to order disclosure of records the government would prefer stay secret, that proposed power is being tempered by an automatic right by federal bodies to challenge any aspect of those orders before the Federal Court, the audit report says.This is among several concerns about the bill that information commissioner Suzanne Legault is expected to outline Thursday in a special report to Parliament. Legault said this week she was “generally very disappointed” with the proposed legislation.Requests from the audit team to various federal agencies dealt with subjects such as the impact of climate change on agricultural production, illegal entries into Canada and the cost of restoring home postal delivery to addresses that lost it.Just one-quarter of requests to federal government departments, agencies and Crown corporations were answered within the 30-day limit.One-third of the requests had not received a response by the end of the audit, which means those requests were outstanding for three months or more, with most closer to four months.The RCMP, Health Canada and National Defence were three institutions that cited large backlogs of requests, leading to bottlenecks and delayed responses.Information on pages eventually released under the federal access law can be blacked out for a variety of reasons, including national security, legal privilege and commercial confidentiality.The federal government received a grade of ‘F’ for disclosure of information in the audit.The Liberals promised to be open by default, but the government is taking longer to reply than ever, “and if they do respond we get pages and pages of black ink,” said Nathan Cullen, the NDP democratic reform critic.Conservative MP Tom Kmiec said it was unfair of the Liberals to blame their predecessors. “They’re the administrators, they should have done better.”The researchers found progress on the elimination of fees charged for information. But they encountered a continued reluctance to provide electronic data in computer-readable formats such as a spreadsheet — particularly at the federal level, despite the Liberal government’s commitment to make data available in this way.The report also points to “trouble spots” at the provincial, municipal and territorial levels, including instances of high fees, delays and refusal to release data in computer-readable formats. “But none is as thoroughly gummed up as the federal system.”— Follow @JimBronskill on Twitter