1 Swansea manager Garry Monk admits revenge will be high on Manchester United’s agenda at the Liberty Stadium on Sunday.Monk masterminded an amazing double over United last season as Swansea became the only opponents Louis van Gaal lost twice to in the Barclays Premier League during his first campaign at Old Trafford.And Monk accepts it is only human nature that Dutchman Van Gaal, who will be in charge of United for the 50th time in South Wales, will be desperate to avenge those shock defeats.“I am sure it stung them, as it would be if you lost twice to any side,” Monk said.“You use it as motivation, I can think of a number of times where I have done that as a player and a manager against a side you may have lost to before.“You want to put it right and I am sure it will be part of their motivation.“We have to be ready for that but we can beat these teams.“We showed it against Chelsea we can compete against the bigger teams and really show what we can do.“We are at home, in front of our crowd and we need to make this a fortress, and if we are ready and focused we will give anyone a game here.”Swansea won both games 2-1 last season, spoiling Van Gaal’s first game at the United helm before repeating the scoreline at the Liberty Stadium in February. Marouane Fellaini
3. Santi Cazorla (Arsenal) has created five clear-cut chances 8 8 8 5. Mesut Ozil (Arsenal) has created four clear-cut chances 8 6. Riyad Mahrez (Leicester City) has created four clear-cut chances 8 8 2. Dimitri Payet (West Ham United) has created five clear-cut chances 4. Jonjo Shelvey (Swansea City) has created four clear-cut chances 8 8. Sadio Mane (Southampton) has created four clear-cut chances 7. Ross Barkley (Everton) has created four clear-cut chances 8 1. Hector Bellerin (Arsenal) tops the list having created six clear-cut chances Statistics, from Opta, have revealed the top eight players to have created the most ‘clear-cut’ chances so far this season in the Premier League.Surprisingly it’s not Juan Mata, David Silva or Mesut Ozil that have taken the plaudits. The first two haven’t even made it on to the list.In fact, a certain Spanish defender has claimed top spot, proving just how valuable he has become to his side. To find out the top eight players to have created the clearest opportunities to score in England’s top flight, after eight games, click the yellow arrow above, right.
Napoli have stepped up their pursuit of Arsenal and Liverpool target Jese.Both Premier League clubs have been monitoring the forward’s situation at Real Madrid, where he remains on the periphery of the first team.Although he publicly insists that he is happy at the club, despite a lack of regular first-team football, some reports have suggested that he may be open to leaving Madrid in January.And, according to AS, Napoli have emerged as the frontrunners in the race to land him after they had him scouted yet again when he faced PSG in the Champions League this week.The 22-year-old, who has started just four La Liga games this term, was hooked after 63 minutes but Napoli scouts were still said to be impressed.And it has been reported that manager Maurizio Sarri has now made signing Jese his transfer window priority, despite the interest in him from England. 1 Jese Rodriguez
Jamie Redknapp says he is excited for Liverpool’s future under Jurgen Klopp.The Reds produced an outstanding display at the Etihad Stadium on Saturday as they demolished title favourites Manchester City 4-1.They did so without fielding a recognised striker and Redknapp believes Klopp’s side will only get better with Daniel Sturridge poised to return to full fitness.“I can’t wait to see what he [Klopp] does now because they have great options off the bench,” said the former Liverpool midfielder, speaking on the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast.“If they get Sturridge up there as a striker, the amount of goals he will get if he plays in that system… If they can keep Sturridge fit, he will love playing with those little midfield players behind him.“They had a lovely balance to their team [against City]. Whereas Manchester City looked like a bunch of individuals, you could see exactly what Liverpool wanted to do. City couldn’t get near them.”
Swindon Town are lining up a second offer for on-loan Liverpool goalkeeper Lawrence Vigouroux.The 22-year-old has been on loan at the County Ground since August and has played 28 times for the League One club so far.Swindon have been so impressed by Vigouroux’s performances they lodged a bid with Liverpool to make the move permanent.The Merseyside club are aware of the Chilean’s talent and are not willing to let him leave on the cheap so knocked that one back.However, Swindon are now ready to up the bid to test Liverpool’s resolve to keep him this month. 1 Lawrence Vigouroux
Louis van Gaal urged Manchester United fans not to get carried away after victory over Watford signalled a fourth consecutive win.Juan Mata scored the only goal of the game at Old Trafford as time ran out after David De Gea made a number of crucial saves to keep the scores goalless.And despite an upturn in form in recent weeks, Van Gaal insists the problems from before are still there for the Red Devils.“Of course, four victories in a row is fantastic but we have a very small selection [of players] at this moment,” said the Dutchman.“We have the same problems as three weeks ago. We have some players coming back but still I have to solve a problem in my line up.“When players are coming back, they are not fit enough. I think we are doing great the last four matches but still we have to go step by step.”
The truth is that although a dirty bomb is a relatively simple device compared to a nuclear weapon, it is also a high-tech weapon, which makes it more difficult for terrorists to construct and use. (Indeed, if it was easy and simple to build dirty bombs, one would think they would be as prolific as improvised explosive devices in Iraq.) And despite rhetorical sensationalism about dirty bombs – announcing Jose Padilla’s arrest, former Attorney General John Ashcroft claimed that a dirty bomb “can cause mass death and injury” – they are hardly weapons of mass destruction. The actual physical damage caused by a dirty bomb would likely be no more than that of a conventional bomb using the same amount of explosives. So the dirty-bomb threat to L.A. is probably overstated. But that should come as no surprise, since Chief Bratton doesn’t understand the larger terrorist threat. According to Bratton, Los Angeles is at risk of terrorism – and presumably a dirty bomb attack – because it is “the symbolism of so much of what they hate. In their rush to get back into the 7th century again, 21st century Hollywood is not exactly where they want to be.” The reality is that – as the 9-11 Commission concluded and as numerous polls conducted throughout the Islamic world show – “they” do not hate us for our freedoms, way of life, culture, accomplishments, or values. Rather, the growing tide of Muslim anti-American hatred – the basis for the radical Islamists to cultivate terrorism – is fueled more by what we do, i.e., U.S. policies, than who we are. With more than 1 billion Muslims in the world, we cannot continue to ignore the reality of why so many of them possess a growing hatred of the United States – largely U.S. foreign policy. Otherwise, getting them before they get us will be as elusive as trying to find a dirty bomb in Los Angeles. Charles V. Pe a is senior fellow at The Independent Institute (www.independent.org), and author of “Winning the Un-War: A New Strategy for Winning the War on Terrorism.”160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! ACCORDING to Los Angeles Police Chief William Bratton, “Terrorism is all about getting them before they get us.” But if that’s so, you’ve got to question the wisdom of the Los Angeles Police Department’s efforts to spare the city from a dirty-bomb attack. The LAPD has recently procured – using some of the $3 million in funding from the Department of Homeland Security – devices capable of detecting so-called dirty bombs, or radiological dispersion devices. One of the detectors will be deployed on board a helicopter and supposedly can detect a radiation signature from an altitude of 800 feet. Six other devices are handheld units for use by police officers on the ground (with, presumably, a detection range of only a few feet). Assuming the helicopter-mounted device is 100 percent effective – and nothing ever is – and that it can detect small quantities of radioactive material within an 800-foot radius, its effective surface area of detection is about 2 million square feet, or less than one-tenth of a square mile. If a dirty bomb could be anywhere inside the L.A. city limits (468 square miles), and the helicopter could be flying anywhere within that airspace, the probability that a single helicopter would detect the bomb is less than 0.02 percent. In other words, very poor odds. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREChargers go winless in AFC West with season-ending loss in Kansas CityEven worse are the odds for six police officers carrying handheld detectors with a range of only a few feet. Each would be responsible for covering nearly 80 square miles. Moreover, there are many legitimate sources of radiation – by definition, a dirty bomb is made with explosives laced with radioactive material, not a nuclear device – that could set off detectors and result in countless false alarms. According to the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, radioactive materials are routinely used at hospitals, research facilities and industrial and construction sites for such purposes as diagnosing and treating illnesses, sterilizing equipment and inspecting welding seams. And there are many naturally occurring sources of radiation, such as fertilizers, ceramics, bananas, kitty litter and smoke detectors. All of which could be carried in sufficient quantities by trucks traveling on the 6,800 miles of roadways, including 27 intertwining freeways, in Los Angeles to trigger detectors. Beyond being able to detect the relatively small amount of radioactive material used in a dirty bomb, there is also the question of how real such a threat is. There are only two known cases – in Russia and Chechnya – of attempted terrorism using a radiological dispersion device. In May 2002, Jose Padilla was arrested on suspicion that he was an al-Qaida terrorist intending to detonate a dirty bomb in the United States. But when he was finally indicted – after being held for three years as an enemy combatant – the dirty-bomb charges were dropped. (Padilla was convicted in August on charges of aiding terrorist organizations abroad.)
“These types of programs are often very controversial,” Smith said. “We’re constantly up against that, and how you bring this to a community that doesn’t believe homelessness is an issue in their community.” HomeWalk will remind people that no neighborhood is unaffected, Smith said. The walk near USC aims to register 5,000 people and raise $1 million, said Buik. Nearly 400 people have registered and raised more than $17,000 ahead of the registration campaign that kicks off on Monday. Another $460,000 in sponsorship money has been raised to run the event. To help make the issue real and dispel stereotypes, HomeWalk will include a vast educational aspect, with everything from examples of supportive housing, to meet-and- greets with people who used to be homeless, Buik said. “There’s this fear that it’s all these crazy people,” Buik said. “But there’s really a spectrum … a lot of people are shocked by how many are women and children, where are they geographically, how many are college educated, how many are veterans.” A countywide homeless study released last week found that in the San Gabriel Valley alone, 9,942 people are homeless on a given night, not counting an estimated 969 more in Pasadena. Almost 2,500 are women, 861 are under 18 and more than 700 are veterans, according to a homeless count by the Los Angeles Homeless Services Authority in January. The study estimated 27,067 people are homeless in the San Gabriel Valley each year. People know homelessness is a problem, but this will bring the issue to life, said county Supervisor Zev Yaroslavsky. Yaroslavsky spearheaded a motion encouraging county employees to get involved. “It is an effort to mobilize and galvanize the heart and soul of Los Angeles County and really personalize it,” he said. However, he disagreed that the county’s efforts to put regional homeless centers around the county had stalled. The effort is just moving away from shelters and toward supportive housing with a variety of social services, he said. “What’s happening is the county’s thinking has radically evolved,” Yaroslavsky said. “What works in Skid Row may not work in Covina … what does work is providing a roof, providing public health services if they’re needed, mental health assistance, child care. That happens one person at a time, not 50 shelter beds at a time.” Los Angeles’ HomeWalk is co-sponsored by the Fannie Mae Foundation, which hosts several other homelessness-awareness events on Nov. 17 in Washington, D.C., Atlanta, Seattle and elsewhere. For more details about HomeWalk, go to www.HomeWalkLA.org. email@example.com (626) 962-8811, Ext. 2730 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.That vocal, not-in-my-back yard mentality has forced the Board of Supervisors to reconsider how to implement a year-and-a-half old, $100 million plan to fight homelessness. The centerpiece of that plan used to be five regional shelters to house and help homeless people. Although other aspects of the initiative are up and running, only one of the county’s five regions expressed interest, instead of hostility, in opening a homeless resource center. That region – the “gateway cities,” a coalition of 29 jurisdictions including Whittier, Pico Rivera and Montebello – is now deciding where to put such a center, said Kathy House, the county’s Services Integration branch manager, and Garrison Smith, the county’s homeless coordinator. “People are fearful about the mentally ill or fearful of homeless people because they are unfamiliar with very successfully sited programs,” House said. Some city officials fear bringing homeless resources to their communities would bring the crime, drugs and blight of Skid Row to their streets. The county is now waiting for local communities to suggest alternative ways to help the homeless with the money that the county has set aside, officials said. Officials hope a fundraising walk next month will change perceptions about placing homeless resources in local communities. For the United Way’s 5-kilometer HomeWalk Nov. 17, walkers will raise money and also be exposed to the event’s massive educational opportunity, said Elise Buik, CEO of the United Way of Greater Los Angeles. “One of the things we know can help homeless people is to get them into supportive housing with supportive services,” Buik said. “It’s hard enough to get the money. Then you have neighbors who are concerned about formerly homeless people living in their neighborhoods, so it’s really important to educate people and help them understand.”
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREPettersson scores another winner, Canucks beat KingsOther parcels that are part of the project include a Levitz furniture outlet and two vacant lots. During a redevelopment meeting last week, City Council members voted against a contract that would grant an exclusive agreement with Primestor Development to develop the site. “They denied the (contract) with Primestor,” said City Manager Oliver Chi. “They’ve directed staff that we are supposed to go out to bid for other developers.” In July, the city voted to give Primestor one year with two possible 180-day extensions to come up with a formal agreement to develop the site. That final contract was brought before the redevelopment commission last week. • Photo Gallery: Future development project ROSEMEAD – City officials believe an eight-acre parcel of land on the southwest corner of Glendon Way and Rosemead Boulevard is crime-infested. The City Council wants to see the block redeveloped, and fast. But the companies chosen to explore development on the parcel, which includes the Rosemead Inn where a woman died in July in a stabbing incident, are moving too slowly, city officials said. “We’re losing sales tax by having that vacant property,” said Councilwoman Margaret Clark. Council members said the two-year window was just too long, Chi said. Clark said that she wanted Primestor to consider a six-month agreement, and voted to give Primestor a chance to review the contract and present it to the commission at a later date. That suggestion, however, failed on a 3-2 vote. In less than a year, an exclusive contract with developer YK America International Group and Primestor Development have gotten the ax. Representatives from YK America International Group declined to comment. In July, Primestor outbid Jacobsen Family Holdings and Manarino Realty for the exclusive contract. But when the council members saw the contract last week, the majority said the proposed agreement was too long and that they wanted to move faster. That was the same reason the commission opted not to renew an exclusive agreement with the previous developer, YK America International Group. City officials in July cited inexperience and slow pace as reasons to seek a new developer. In July, they said they were optimistic about Primestor’s experience, and said that because the company owns one of the parcels on the site, it made it a good fit. Primestor Development is a nationally recognized company, and locally has developed commercial projects in Bell Gardens, North Hills, South El Monte and Carson. Primestor owns the Levitz parcel on the site. Primestor officials did not return calls seeking comment. firstname.lastname@example.org (626) 962-8811, Ext. 2477 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
The success comes just days after confirming their return to the Scottish Premiership 1 Glasgow Rangers finally claimed the Petrofac Training Cup at the fourth time of asking after crushing Peterhead 4-0 at Hampden.The Ibrox men had suffered three previous humiliating exits from the lower-league knock-out competition but there was never any danger of a repeat after Ally Gilchrist’s own goal put Mark Warburton’s side ahead.James Tavernier smashed home a stunning volley for the second while late goals from Andy Halliday and Kenny Miller got the party started.That left it to skipper Lee Wallace to lead the newly-crowned Ladbrokes Championship winners up the Hampden steps to collect the trophy for what should be the first and last time.Cheered on by a a huge 48,000-strong Gers support, the Light Blues recorded what they hope will be the first of two victories at the National Stadium in the space of a week as they chase a trophy treble.The Light Blues used the clash as a dry run for next week’s William Hill Scottish Cup semi-final with Celtic at the same venue.The success comes just days after confirming their return to the Scottish Premiership, see some of the reaction below:Rangers MUST challenge Celtic for Scottish Premiership title next season, insists Gers midfielder Andy HallidayLISTEN: ‘It’s just the start’– Manager Mark Warburton on Rangers’ return to Scottish top flight