New Westminster leader pledges Olympic revamp

first_imgTo access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletterslast_img

Manchester agents’ musical chairs continues as Steele quits CBRE

first_imgTo access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletterslast_img

MATHESON expands Select® line of welding products

first_imgGet instant access to must-read content today!To access hundreds of features, subscribe today! At a time when the world is forced to go digital more than ever before just to stay connected, discover the in-depth content our subscribers receive every month by subscribing to gasworld.Don’t just stay connected, stay at the forefront – join gasworld and become a subscriber to access all of our must-read content online from just $270. Subscribelast_img

Linde receives Silver Class distinction from RobecoSAM

first_imgGet instant access to must-read content today!To access hundreds of features, subscribe today! At a time when the world is forced to go digital more than ever before just to stay connected, discover the in-depth content our subscribers receive every month by subscribing to gasworld.Don’t just stay connected, stay at the forefront – join gasworld and become a subscriber to access all of our must-read content online from just $270. Subscribelast_img

R6m fuel injection for Gift of the Givers

first_imgEngen committed fuel to the value of R2 million annually to Gift of the Givers, over the next three years. A partnership between a petroleum company and humanitarian relief organisation, Gift of the Givers, will see to it that the latter receives R2 million worth of fuel every year for the next three years.A ceremonial cheque handover was held at the Gift of the Givers office in Penlyn Estate on Tuesday February 18, where executives of Engen donated the first R2 million.Dr Imtiaz Sooliman, founder and chairperson of Gift of the Givers, said Engen’s willingness to come to them was “humility and generosity at its best”.“You are giving us the money and you come to us,” Dr Sooliman said.He said the organisation had a total of 21 projects but it was its intervention when disasters struck that made it internationally known. He explained to the donors that the organisation had been started through an instruction given to him by his spiritual leader, Muhammed Saffer Effendi al Jerrahi, in Istanbul, Turkey in August 1992.“I can’t take credit for anything. It is only by the grace of God Almighty. Already this month we have been in Alice in the Eastern Cape, providing relief to victims of the flooding; Calvinia in the Northern Cape, where farmers and farmworkers have no resources available for themselves or their animals; Graaff-Reinet to provide items crucial for the survival of drought victims; and Ntinini in KwaZulu-Natal to feed the hungry, among others.”Dr Sooliman said their convoys travelled long distances across the country to deliver relief to those South Africans most in need.“This generous commitment by Engen to assist with our fuel costs is going to make a significant difference to the reach of our intervention efforts. “A partnership with like-minded brands such as Engen, will enable us to strengthen our ability to make an impact on the lives of some of the most vulnerable people across South Africa,” he added.The cheque handover ceremony was attended by Engen chairperson Dato’ Sri Syed Zainal Abidin and Engen managing director and chief executive officer Yusa’ Hassan. “Given the challenging social context in South Africa, Engen is firmly committed to investing in sustainable development initiatives that offer tangible value to the communities in which we operate. “And given the wide reach and incredible national relief efforts of the Gift of the Givers, Engen sees much value in this partnership” said Mr Abidin. 1 of 2 Founder and chairperson of Gift of the Givers, Dr Imtiaz Sooliman, addresses guests at the ceremonial cheque handover.center_img Engen committed fuel to the value of R2 million annually to Gift of the Givers, over the next three years.last_img read more

Georgia man says deputy shot his dog, ordered him to behead it

first_img A man says a sheriff’s office investigator ordered him to cut the head off his dog after it attacked a neighbor.The beheading took place in rural Crawford County, Georgia, after the dog lunged at the deputy and was fatally shot, according to a news release obtained by CBS affiliate WMAZ-TV.Joe Goodwin, the owner of the black-and-white pitbull mix named Big Boy, told WMAZ-TV that deputies gave him two options — take the dog’s body intact to a veterinarian for rabies testing, or cut off the head so the brain could be tested.But deputies wouldn’t let Goodwin leave his property, Goodwin said.Video that Goodwin posted to Facebook appears to show him getting into an argument with deputies before ultimately cutting off the head. A deputy can be heard making the request for Goodwin to behead the dog. Investigators search for possible animal abuse suspect in North Fort Myers Published: December 5, 2017 12:50 PM EST SHARE Recommended LINK: Read the full story Do you see a typo or an error? Let us know. Outpouring of anger after dolphin in Naples found with fatal gunshot MACON, Ga. Georgia man says deputy shot his dog, ordered him to behead it last_img read more

Solicitor falsified six letters to cover inaction

first_imgA solicitor has admitted creating six false letters to make it appear he was progressing his client’s case. Neil Ian Benson, formerly with London practice Hamlins LLP, placed the letters on the firm’s document management system in September 2014 but dated them between May 2013 and September 2014.The letters appeared to show him lodging an application for registration based on adverse possession at the Land Registry, then chasing up that application.His misconduct came to light in November 2014 when his client raised concerns with the firm that no progress was being made in connection with the claim. The client had chased Benson on 14 occasions since between February 2013 and August 2014 for an update in relation to the claim.The Land Registry confirmed no application had been received, and the firm also found no indication on the financial ledger that a cheque had been drawn for payment of disbursements in support of the claim.During a meeting between the firm and Benson, he admitted falsely creating the six letters, and the matter was reported to the Solicitors Regulation Authority. In an agreed statement of facts drawn up with the regulator, Benson admitted dishonesty and failing to materially progress a claim on behalf of his client.In mitigation, Benson, 47 and a solicitor for 21 years, said he was dealing with extremely challenging personal circumstances at the time of the events in question, and those circumstances affected his decision making. He submitted he was suffering from stress and depression and provided medical evidence in this regard.The Solicitors Disciplinary Tribunal asserted that his misconduct had continued over several months, involved dishonesty and was designed to conceal wrongdoing.He was struck off the roll of solicitors and ordered to pay £5,429 costs.last_img read more

Experts say insurers set for £2.5bn windfall from discount rate

first_imgInsurers could save as much as £2.5bn if the government’s calculations for the personal injury discount rate come to fruition, according to accountants. The Ministry of Justice yesterday revealed that it will legislate to change the formula for calculating deductions from personal injury awards. The rate will be set by reference to rates of return on ‘low risk’ investments rather than ’very low risk’ as at present. Based on the government’s working, if the new system were to be applied today, the rate would be in the region of 0% to 1%.The decision was welcomed by key figures in the insurance industry, and examination of the potential effects by big four accountancy EY explains why. Tony Sault, UK general insurance leader for EY, said the insurance industry had been facing £6.5bn losses from the present rate of -0.75%, which would add 6.5% to motor premiums.‘We believe the new proposals, which the government expects to imply a real rate of 0% to 1%, will have a significant impact on these costs,’ he said. ‘A revision to 0% could reduce these costs by one-third meaning reserve releases of £1.2bn, while a change to 1% could reduce this by two thirds, meaning up to £2.5bn could be saved by insurers and reinsurers compared to their current booked position.’Sault predicted that rises in insurance costs would now level out and premiums could fall by between 2% and 4%, with consumers saving £21 on average.However, the insurance industry has been reluctant to make any specific promises about whether premiums will come down once the legislation is passed.Huw Evans, director general of the Association of British Insurers, said the change will ‘relieve some of the cost pressures on motor and liability insurance in a way that can only benefit customers’.Colin Holmes, chief executive of Aviva’s UK general insurance business, said any measures which reduce the rising costs of insurance ‘will directly feed through to premiums’.Flora Hamilton, head of financial services for the Confederation of British Industry, added: ‘These proposals will be welcome news for the UK’s world-leading insurance industry.’last_img read more

Africans in Europe: Gambian duo sinks Inter, Aubameyang, Mane shine in…

first_imgGambian duo Musa Juwara and Musa Barrow celebrate during Bologna’s Serie A match against Inter Milan. COURTESY: TWITTER/Bologna F.C.From inspired substitutions to goals galore and play-making glory, African footballers continued to make their mark across football leagues in Europe in the latest round of fixtures. However, it was not all smooth sailing as some results were adversely affected by unfortunate events such as own goals and red cards. We take a look at highlights from across European leagues.ENGLANDSenegal’s Sadio Mane scored a goal while Egypt’s Mohamed Salah set up another as Liverpool beat Aston Villa 2-0 in what was their first win as Premier League champions. Nigerian forward Kelechi Iheanacho scored for the second consecutive games as Leicester City stayed in the race for a Champions League spot with a 3-0 win against Crystal Palace.In the Championship, Algerian striker Said Benrahma scored a hat-trick as Brentford maintained their slim hopes of automatic promotion to the Premier League with a 3-0 win against 10-man Wigan while Côte d’Ivoire forward Yakou Meite scored four goals for mid-table Reading in their 5-0 win against relegation threatened Luton Town.Meanwhile, a penalty by Ghana’s Andre Ayew earned Swansea a 2-1 win against Sheffield Wednesday while Egyptian defender Ahmed Hegazi scored and was then sent off in West Brom’s 4-2 win against Hull City.Nigerian Nnamdi Oboforh was on target for Wycombe Wanderers who took a commanding 4-1 win away against 9-man Fleetwood Town in their League One playoff semifinal first leg. Wycombe would eventually progress 6-3 on aggregate after a 2-2 draw.ITALYGambian strikers Musa Juwara and Musa Barrow were both on target as 10-man Bologna recovered from a goal down and a sending off to stun 10-man Inter Milan 2-1 at the San Siro. Juwara, a second half substitute, was instrumental in Bologna’s fightback scoring the equalizer and getting Inter defender Alessandro Bastoni sent off shortly before Barrow’s winner.Two Côte d’Ivoire midfielders were on song for their sides in Italy. Seko Fofana scored a goal and assisted another as Udinese were held to a 2-2 draw at home to Genoa while Jeremie Boga kept up his fine string of performances for Sassuolo scoring in a 4-2 win over Lecce.However, their compatriot Koffi Djidji of Torino was unlucky to be on the end of a 4-1 defeat to Serie A champions Juventus in the Turin derby in which he scored an own goal.SPAIN AND PORTUGALIn Spain, Moroccan defender Zouhair Feddal earned Real Betis a 1-1 draw against Celta Vigo while in neighbouring Portugal, Mali striker Moussa Marega scored his third goal in three games as Porto thrashed Belenenses 5-0 and his compatriot Falaye Sacko set up the only goal in Vitoria Guimaraes’ 1-0 win against Portimonense.AUSTRIANigerian Bright Edomwonyi set up Maximilian Sax to score the only goal in Austria Vienna’s 1-0 win over Mattersburg while Mali’s Mohamed Camara scored a penalty in injury time to seal RB Salzburg’s 3-0 win over LASK Linz.DENMARKTunisian Imed Louati found the net in Hobro’s 3-2 home loss against Randers FC in the Danish Superliga as league leaders FC Midtjylland survived the dismissal of Nigerian Ogochukwu Onyeka to edge Nordsjaelland 1-0.TURKEYSenegal’s Papiss Cisse scored once and DR Congo defender Fabrice N’Sakala set up two goals as Alanyaspor thumped Ankaragucu 4-1 while Cisse’s fellow countryman Demba Ba was on target for league leaders Basaksehir who won 2-0 against Antalyaspor.Côte d’Ivoire’s Jean Micheal Seri scored a penalty while Algerian Sofiane Feghouli was sent off for Galatasaray in their 3-1 defeat to home to Trabzonspor. Uganda’s Farouk Miya converted an injury-time penalty; his first goal after a lengthy injury lay off, as Konyaspor edged Rizespor 1-0 in a relegation battle. Kevin Prince Boateng of Ghana set up the only goal for Besiktas in their 3-1 loss to Kayserispor.ACROSS EUROPEIn Bulgaria, Gambian Ali Sowe’s second half strike earned CSKA Sofia a 1-1 draw against runaway Parva Liga leaders Ludogorets while in the Czech Republic, Côte d’Ivoire midfielder Ibrahim Traore was on target for 1. Liga leaders Slavia Prague in a 3-1 win against Slovan Liberec.In Estonia, Malian midfielder Sadio Tounkara’s strike was not enough for his side Trans Narva as they lost the Estonian Cup final 2-1 to favourites Flora.In Latvia, Nigeria’s Toluwalase Arokodare netted a late equaliser as second-from-bottom Valmeira came from two goals down to force a 2-2 draw against Spartaks Jurmala in the Optibet Virsliga while South African Kgotso Masangane was on the score sheet in a 3-1 win for Metta/LU against Tukums. DR Congo striker Jordan Nkololo scored the second goal in Riga FC’s 3-1 win against BFC Daugavpils.19-year-old Nigerian Emmanuel David came off the bench to complete the scoring in a 2-0 win for Lithuanian side Kauno Zalgiris over bottom-placed FK Panevezys in the A Lyga while Norwegian side Sarpsborg 08 ended a four-game losing streak with a 3-0 win against Sandefjord in which Malian Ismaila Coulibaly scored.In Slovakia, Gambian midfielder Alieu Fadera came off the bench, scored and was then sent off in Pohronie’s 2-0 win away to Nitra while Ghanaian Sharani Zuberu opened the scoring in Dunjeska Streda’s 2-0 win against Zilina. In Slovenia, Gabon striker Ndzengue Fahd scored after coming on in the second half of Tabor Sezana’s 2-1 defeat away to Domzale in the Prva Liga.In Sweden, Nigerian Moses Ogbu set up a goal for Mjallby in a 1-0 win against lowly Ostersunds while Adama Fofana of Côte d’Ivoire was the match winner for Varbergs against Kalmar. Meanwhile, Swiss side Lugano slipped to a 3-0 away defeat to Young Boys courtesy of two own goals by Côte d’Ivoire defender Yao Eloge and a strike from Guinea defender Mohamed Camara.Related Aubameyang, Mane only Africans in 30-man Ballon d’Or shortlist Mane, Aubameyang, Salah share Premier League golden bootcenter_img Mane, Salah, Aubameyang lead race for CAF Player of the Year crownlast_img read more

Gov’t won’t allow lawlessness, warns PM

first_imgLocalNews Gov’t won’t allow lawlessness, warns PM by: Dominica Vibes News – August 31, 2018 Share Tweet 282 Views   6 comments Sharing is caring!center_img Share Share Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit (file photo)Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit has said his government will not allow lawlessness in the country and called on the police to carry out its mandate as described in the law. Mr. Skerrit made this statement while at an event at Mahaut on Thursday 30 August 2018. There has been a recent increase in gun violence on the island. For the month of August there has been five shooting incidents, all which seem unrelated. Four of them have resulted in the death of those shot. “I give you the assurance that this government will not allow and tolerate any such activities in Dominica, we will be firm and resolute in ensuring that we wipe out this lawlessness that is permeating our society.”Mr. Skerrit said this however requires an active role by all citizens and residents of the island as well as crime and violence are social issues. “Therefore it requires the whole society to play its part in bringing a sense of peace and tranquility in our country but the government is committed to this.”Meanwhile he said the police must carry out its functions and duties as described under the laws of the Commonwealth of Dominica. “We’ve made it clear to the police that it must carry out its mandate and to ensure that we can bring a sense of peace of mind to every citizen and resident in Dominica.”He said the police have been provided will all the necessary resources to carry out these functions adding, “As Minister of Finance I am committed, once the Chief says to me he needs this I shall provide it to him to ensure he has all the resources he require to carry out his mandate.”The Prime Minister also called on citizens to allow the police to carry out these duties. “The police is doing a check of vehicle and all of us get upset because we’re stuck in traffic…and so we need to allow the police to carry out its duties. The police is not above the law so it must carry out its duties within the confines of the constitution of Dominica but we must allow it to do its work.”Mr. Skerrit added that a clear message must also be sent to persons involved in illegal drugs. “You must cease and desist from engaging yourself in these illegal activities because where there is drugs there will be guns and where there is drugs there will be violence and killing.”last_img read more